Here is the recipe that I have been asked to post as it was such a hit the last time I made it for dessert for friends.
The apples, butter, cinnamon and water ready to be cooked.
The apple mixture cooking.
Crumble mix preparation
The dish before the topping is added.
The mix before going into the oven.
Cooking Time 35 min
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Melted butter to grease baking plate
- 6 (1kg) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, thickly sliced
- 220g (1 cup) Caster Sugar
- 60ml (1/4 cup ) Water
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 150g Frozen berries thawed and drained
- 55g (1/4 cup)Brown sugar
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 cups rolled oats lightly toasted
- 1/4 cup coconut toasted together with oats
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Brush ovenproof dish with the melted butter
- Place apples, sugar, water and cinnamon in a pot on the stove. Bring to the boil, then reduce to low heat and allow to simmer for 10 mins till apples have softened.
- To make the topping combine the oats and coconut and place on a tray in the heating oven to lightly toast. Then remove and let cool for a few minutes and add the sugar and rub in the butter.
- Take the apple mix from the stove and pour into the oven dish.
- Scatter the berries over them.
- Sprinkle the crumble mix on top of this.
- Bake in the heated oven for 35 mins.